Our contact details
Jesuit European Social Centre
Jesc – Rue du Cornet 51 B, 1040 Brussels
The type of personal information we collect
We currently collect and process the following information:
• Name-surname, official titles, current addresses, email, social media public user name (twitter, linkedin), education and other formation (name and city of schools, years of schooling), birthday, current and previous employment positions and name of employer, nationality, size of family, previous participation in Jesuit branded events, and financial information concerning donation or membership fees.
How we get the personal information and why we have it
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
• To create a database and services such as mailing list and newsletters of JESC and its projects such as the Brussels Chapter of Jesuit Alumni, Passion for Europe Group, Social Delegates of the Society of Jesus in Europe group (Europe Justice Networks), Faith and Politics workshop, European Leadership Programme and any other ad hoc event or project, to enable JESC organizing events – workshops, seminars, panel discussions for example – based on the database, as well as to allow for social media.
• Should you wish to make an anonymous donation, we will respect your privacy and not share this information with any other entities of the group or any third party. We will process the personal data that is legally strictly necessary for accounting purposes.
We also receive personal information indirectly, from the following sources in the following scenarios:
• In order to identify potential alumni members and to offer a membership to our Alumni platform, we will contact the regional alumni associations such as ECJA and WUJA, as well as and we may retain data for the purpose of making the first connection from year books of Jesuit educational institutions, Alumni organisations of Jesuit affiliated educational institutions and their associations and legally accessible open source public databases,
• In order to run the projects related to the Jesuit Conference of European Provincials (JCEP) for which JESC acts as a processor.
We use the information that you have provided us with in order to: run the events, newsletters and information campaigns of JESC, as well as to run the Alumni platform of Brussels based on former students of Jesuit educational institutions by regularly sending out information emails on events, activities, fund raising campaigns, membership conditions, or any other directly-related activity that might support the network of alumni.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
(a) Your consent. You are able to remove your consent at any time. You can do this by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org
(b) We have a legal obligation, as far as Belgian accounting applies financial transactions.
(c) We have a legitimate interest.
How long we keep your information
We review our retention periods for Personal Data on a regular basis.
We will keep the above-mentioned personal identifiers for as long as the membership or subscription of the given person is not revoked, or in case of event registrations, for five years after the event, or until JESC not being notified about the death of the person. We will – upon request or other notification – dispose your information by deleting the data on the database, unless we are legally required to hold some types of information to fulfil our statutory obligations.
At the occasion of recruitment, JESC keeps the data of the candidates for 6 months after the termination of the recruitment process after which the data will be deleted.
Who has access to your information
We will not share your personal information with any third parties for the purposes of direct marketing or otherwise sell or rent your personal information to third parties.
• With your consent or pursuant to your instructions
• To consultants, subcontractors and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf or to assist us in the provision of our website and other business-related functions such as website analytics
• As part of a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with a legal obligation, for example, by a court order, or for the purposes of prevention of fraud or other crime.
When we use third party service providers, we only disclose the personal data that is strictly necessary to deliver the service and we have a contract (Data Processing Agreement) in place that requires them to keep your information secure and to keep it for no longer than necessary for the purposes of completing the tasks and providing the services to you on our behalf, after which it will get deleted.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
Your right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
Your right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
Your right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances (for example, if we no longer need your personal data, if you initially consented to the use of your personal data but have now withdrawn your consent, if you have objected to the use of your personal data and your interests outweigh our interests)
Your right to restriction of processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to object to processing – You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to data portability – You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you wish to make a request.
Security precautions in place to protect the loss, misuse or alteration of your information
When you provide us with personal information, we take steps to ensure that it is treated securely.
Non-sensitive details (such as, for example, your e-mail address, etc.) are transmitted normally over the Internet, and this can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your information, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems.
All third parties having access to any of the above mentioned data must sign a non-disclosure agreement with JESC.
Transferring your information outside of the European Economic Area
The information that you provide us with may be transferred to countries outside of the European Economic Area (EEA), which includes all EU countries and non-EU countries Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway as well as the United Kingdom. These countries may not have equivalent data protection laws to the EU or benefit from an adequacy decision by the EU Commission. By submitting your personal information, you’re agreeing to this transfer and processing. If we transfer your information outside of the EEA in this way, we will take necessary safeguards to ensure that appropriate security measures are taken with the aim of ensuring that your privacy rights continue to be protected as outlined in this Policy.
JESC’s services are not directed at children under the age of 16. We do not knowingly solicit or collect personal information from children under the age of 16.
If you have any questions or complaints
We respect your data protection and privacy rights. If you have any questions or if you are not satisfied with the way we handle your personal data, don’t hesitate to send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or to write to us at Jesc – Rue du Cornet 51 B, 1040 Brussels.
If you have any complaints about the way JESC processes your personal information, you can file a complaint with the Belgian Data Protection
Review of this Policy
We keep this Policy under regular review. This Policy was last updated on 01.03.2021